E-books in Libraries

E-books have become a growing trend and often bring about the question (which I’m sure all LIS students and professionals have heard more than once) “Will e-books bring an end to libraries?” While print books will not go away anytime soon, e-books may eventually rule over print, making it vitally important that libraries embrace e-books and are able to meet patron demand. Libraries have been moving toward increased involvement with digital and electronic technologies for many years now (for instance electronic scholarly journals in academic libraries), e-books are yet another step forward. Libraries are so much more than a collection of print books, they are community organizations that help their patrons in so many ways beyond just helping them find a book, but it is still important that libraries continue to grow and embrace the same new technologies as their patrons do.
Librarians must continue to see themselves as bearers of information, continuing to guide patrons in seeking the information they desire. “For librarians to strengthen their position in this unfolding future where e-books will eventually dominate over print, we need to gain mastery of this media in both the delivery of access and related services to our patrons and in the behind-the-scenes management. Librarians cannot afford to lose ground in their relevance to their patrons or in their operational efficiencies as this shift transpires…The development of the e-book component of library collections should reflect the same care and control that libraries exert with their physical collections” (Breeding, 2011, p. 26). Adopting e-books into libraries does not come without challenges, for instance, digital rights management, file formats, licensing agreements, copyright laws, and assisting patrons in using their e-readers.
The popularity of e-books is continuing to increase, The Free Library of Philadelphia reported that in February 2012 they had 26,800 e-book downloads (Loh, 2012).  So, how can libraries incorporate e-books into their collections? According to Breeding (2011), libraries can use programs such as OverDrive with which libraries pay a fee for a subscription which is based on the amount of titles they license (which usually depends on population of their service area). This service permits users to read e-books either through their web browser or download it to their e-reader (which like an actual library book has a due date and on this date the title will “disappear” from the e-reader).
As long as libraries continue to grow with their patrons, including growing as e-books and other technologies do, e-books will not be the end of libraries. Libraries continue to be customer-service and community oriented entities of our society which patrons will always find useful.

Breeding, M. (2011). Ebook Lending: Asserting the value of libraries as the future of books unfolds. Computers in Libraries, 31(9), 24-28.
Loh, D. (2012). Libraries need e-books, too. Retrieved from http://www.philly.com/philly/opinion/inquirer/20120319_Libraries_need_e-books__too.html?142840985=Y&submit=Vote&mr=1&oid=4&pid=142840985&downpage=Y&cid=8500281#pollDisplay

3 responses to “E-books in Libraries

  1. I absolutely agree with you. While I enjoy holding an actual book in my hand, feeling crisp pages, and smelling that unique "book smell", I must admit that I have an e-reader and I love it! I am excited over the number of titles available and perplexed at the number that are not. I purchased a higher end version of the Nook to be able to read some of my text books digitally -- however, so far, none of them have been available for the nook to purchase as an e-copy.

    Another issue that bothers me concerns digital rights management. If I've purchased this book what is the difference if I choose to lend it digitally to another Nook user than if I were to do the same with a print copy? Why is there a limitation on the number of days my digital Nook book is lent? After 15 days it "comes back" to my Nook. I don't have those restrictions on lending a paperback that I own and I shouldn't have those restrictions on the digital books I own.

    I like that you speak to library e-book collections. I know that my own public library's collection of e-books is limited and I'd like to see it expand. I'd also like to see the librarians embrace e-books and those of us who like to use them. Their portal for checking out e-books is cumbersome to use. Once I figured it out, I had no problems. However, for the first time user it might be looked at as a "put-off".

    I hope that as more and more e-books become available the public library will continually embrace them. I agree that the wonderful printed version of books will not disappear for a very long time and I also agree that part of the libraries sustainability will rely on the digital collection it has available to patrons.

  2. Doing a bit of reading to reply on the Economic Crisis blog for this class, I just read an article that discussed how libraries are planning on spending their budgets during these tough times. Overwhelmingly, a transition from print to digital - providing patrons with what they want - was cited as a way to increase usage among users. This article cites another piece of research indicating, "Libraries report almost twice as much of an increase in demand for electronic or digital resources than printed materials. However, print still commands a lion's share of annual budgets." I'd have to think that if patrons want e-resources, that's what libraries will provide sooner rather than later (as publishers make the content available) in order to stay relevant and to please patrons. Indeed, electronic resources were cited in the article as where libraries budgeted the most growth spending, anywhere from 20-46% increase in 2011.

    The challenge is there for this new(ish) world but so is the demand. It may come in fits and starts, but publishers and libraries will figure this problem out. The model will change, and yet it won't because libraries will continue to serve.

    Collins, Tim (01/01/2012). "The Current Budget Environment and Its Impact on Libraries, Publishers and Vendors.". Journal of library administration (0193-0826), 52 (1), p. 18.

  3. Mary Ellen- I am also frustrated with Digital Rights Management and the idea of loaning an e-book vs. a print book. What is the difference if I purchase a paperback and loan it to my friends or share it digitally?

Leave a Reply

Powered by Blogger.